Ever get a sweet tooth, and just need a little bite to satisfy the craving? These little treasures can fulfill that need, and put health in your body at the same time! Full of fiber, low on sugar - win-win for you and your family! These cookies are actually more like a homemade granola bar, but my kids still think they are eating dessert! I make a couple batches at a time, and freeze them in little baggies for quick lunch and snack grabbing. This way, we keep portion size in check, yet provide a healthy option to other empty calorie snacks!
Those “100 calorie” snacks bags at the store don’t hold a candle to the 100-calorie-per-cookie goodness of these babies! These cookies actually contain natural sources of nutritious fiber, very little sugar, and NO fillers or preservatives! The benefits of the flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, nuts, oats, and bran come together to make a nutritious treat!
Healthy Cereal Cookies Recipe
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/2 cup flaxseed, milled
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 3/4 cup butter, softened (1 ½ sticks)
• 1/2 cup white sugar
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 2 cups wheat cereal flakes (bran)
• 2 cups rolled oats
• 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
• 1/2 cup craisins
• 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Combine the flour, flaxseed, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a medium bowl, set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 30 seconds. (For chewier cookies, add in an extra 2 Tbsp butter!) Add sugars and beat for about 2 minutes more, or until combined. Add eggs and vanilla in and mix until combined. On low speed, add in the flour mixture a little at a time, until the entire mixture is combined. Then stir in the bran flakes, oats, nuts, and fruit.
3. Drop a rounded teaspoonful onto cookie sheets, and bake for about 11-13 minutes, or until golden around edges and set. Let the cookies cool for 2 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack. Enjoy these cookies in moderation, as they are natural “system regulators!
For the *Peanut Butter/Chocolate Chip version,* just switch out 1/2 cup of the butter for peanut butter, leave out the walnuts and craisins, and add in 1/2 cup MINI chocolate chips instead....yummy!
Let me know what you think of this healthy goodie in the comments below, or join the discussion in our community!