Who says you can't get dinner from pan to mouth in 30 minutes? This healthy, fresh dish proves that vegetarian can be fun - and quick! It's a light, meatless meal that won’t break the bank and still turn on your taste buds! Fun tofu tip: When cooking it, use a plastic baking spatula to handle and turn the cubes since it is gentle, and won’t break up the tofu into pieces.
Healthy Vegetarian Red Pepper Stir Fry Recipe
How To Make It:
• 1 lb. extra firm tofu
• 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tsp reserved
• 1 tbsp minced garlic
• 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
• 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
• 1 cup diced green onions, ¼ cup reserved
• 2 tbsp rice vinegar
• 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
• sea salt, fresh ground black pepper
• 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
• 1 cup alfalfa or spicy sprouts
1. Place drained tofu on several paper towels; let stand for 10 minutes. Then cut it into 1 inch cubes.
2. Heat 2 tsp sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, and bell pepper to pan; sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in 3/4 cups diced green onions, vinegar, and soy sauce, cook for 30 seconds. Remove mixture from pan and wipe pan clean.
3. Place pan over medium-high heat, and spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle tofu with salt and pepper, then place it gently in the pan. Cook tofu for 8 minutes or until golden, turning midway with rubber spatula to brown it on all sides. Return bell pepper mixture to the pan, and cook with the tofu one more minute.
Serve mixture over a bed of brown rice, and drizzle remaining sesame oil over it. Then top with remaining green onions, sprouts, and sesame seed garnish. Delish!
This dish is loaded with filling fiber and lean protein, but is still very low in sodium, sugar, and saturated fat. Enjoy this dish with your family, and put a whole new meaning to meatless night!