This FRESH Bean Relish is easy, Delish, and full of natural fiber!
Our family enjoys this quick dish often with grilled chicken or as a side to fish.
Hint: It turns out best with all the ingredients rinsed and completely drained, and then refrigerated overnight. It’s one of those dishes that just gets better with time!
This recipe has helped our family eat more beans, which are rich in fiber and other nutrients for the body. I personally have never enjoyed beans, but this dish has a way of hiding the “bean taste” in the goodness of the overall dish, and I have enjoyed it often now.
Here’s the recipe:
Fresh Bean Relish
• 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas
• 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1½ cups frozen sweet corn, thawed & drained
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
• 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chiles
• 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
• 1 cup Italian-style salad dressing
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1. In a medium bowl, combine black-eyed peas, black beans, corn, onion, green bell pepper, jalapeno peppers and tomatoes.
2. Season with Italian-style salad dressing and garlic powder - mix well.
3. Cover and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.
If you prefer fresh tomatoes, substitute 1 3/4 cup for the canned diced tomatoes. For a spicier relish, switch out the mild green chiles for jalapeno peppers, either fresh diced or canned!