Here is a fun picture tutorial on making falafel. I am always looking for quick and easy bean recipes to add variety to our twice-weekly meatless routine, and this one is perfect!
So for vegetarian night, whip out the legumes, and get some health on your table!
Here are the simple instructions:
how-to make Falafel
• 1-15 oz. can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
• 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
• 1/4 cup finely crushed baked tortilla chips
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 large egg white
• 2 tsp olive or canola oil
• 1/2 mashed peeled avocado
• 3 tablespoons finely chopped tomato
• 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 4 pita pockets
• 4 thin red onion slices, separated into rings
• Alfalfa or spicy sprouts
1. To prepare patties, place pinto beans in a medium bowl; partially mash with a fork.
2. Add cheese and next 5 ingredients; stir until well combined.
3. Shape bean mixture into 4 oval-shaped patties that are about 1/2 inch thick. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add oil.
4. When oil is ready, add patties to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until patties are browned and thoroughly heated.
5. To prepare spread, combine avocado and next 5 ingredients (through salt), stirring well. Place 1 patty in each pita half. Spread about 2 tablespoons avocado spread over patty in each pita half; top with onions and greens.
What do you think? Will you make this healthy recipe in your kitchen?
Tell me about YOUR favorite falafel recipe, and what you think of this tutorial here in the comments or over on our Facebook community today!