How do you make or eat healthy breakfasts like Steel Cut Oats when you're busy during the week? Cook them once before the week gets busy and they'll be ready for a quick and satisfying weekday breakfast!
How to make Steel Cut Oats
Breakfast can be one of those tough meals to get into our day - we're going, going from the minute we get up most days - and breakfast can sometimes be an afterthought. But our bodies and brains need a good breakfast, daily! We need to be eating healthy fats, proteins, and whole grains (for brain power!) - but how to get all that into our diet when we're in a rush, as mornings often are?
PRE-COOKING and meal prep are the answer to this dilemma! Taking a few minutes on the weekend to pre-cook a few servings of Steel Cut Oats and enjoy all week long!
- 1 cup Steel Cut Oats
- 4 cups water
- Topping of choice (nuts, seeds, raisins, maple syrup, cinnamon, FRESH berries etc)
1. Bring water to boiling over high heat in a medium saucepan.
2. Add oats to boiling water, and immediately lower heat to LOW.
3. Cover pan, simmer oats in water for 20 minutes, stirring gently every 4-5 minutes or so.
4. Turn the heat off, remove pan, cover and let it sit for about 20 minutes.
5. Scoop pre-measured amounts (ie 1/2 cup) into small storage containers to refrigerate to use and re heat later.
...then, later in the week, for easy go-to breakfasts that will fill you, keep you feeling full and are no trouble to fix...
1. Place refrigerated oats in a bowl, add ½ cup or so unsweetened almond milk or water.
2. Microwave on high for about 1 minute or so.
3. Stir, blending oats and milk or water, add toppings of choice.